Saturday, June 26, 2010

Love, Freedom, and Fishy Crachers

These past few days, I have been struck by how much God loves us. He gives us livelihoods, families, friends.
Right now, I am especially thankful for my friends. One in particular has made me realize that I have been blessed beyond measure. Her name is Casey Ruble.

For years, she and I have been friends. We have admirably weathered the storms that life has sent to shake our foundations, even bailing out water so we could still stand strong. The challenges that life and love and loss present to each of us is best handled with another person, and for me, that has often been Casey. I am privileged to say that I have also been her partner in dealing with life's problems, and I am thankful that I was there to help!


But as I was contemplating that, a thought popped into my head...how often do we thank God for the opportunity to help someone in times of trials? I know we do when things go right for us...but do we just fold our hands and say "Thank you, Lord, for giving me the opportunity to stand by this person's side when their troubles seemed overwhelming."? Do we?
Last night I spent the night over at Casey's, doing just that. And the feeling that I get even thinking about it, let alone being in the middle of the situation, is awesome, quiet humbleness. We all have our own burdens to bear. But to share that with another person who cares more about us than about our situation in life...that is rare.
So, I want to thank both God, for the opportunity, and Casey, for allowing me to be active in her life.

When I got home today from Casey's, I was exhausted. I normally don't do well staying awake for long amounts of time, or being so emotionally engaged. And last night, I couldn't shut my brain off even after Case and I had stopped talking, because I was trying to figure out how I would keep being the friend she needed me to be, how I would respond to certain problems that were on the horizon, and why the creators of fishy crackers chose fish instead of birds or cats or rhinos.
Don't judge me.
I got maybe 2 hours of sleep. Maybe.
But it was well worth it. If you have the chance to see Casey's eyes light up, and to have them full of love and trust, you have been given a priceless gift. It's so beyond the ability to merely describe it, but most of you have probably seen in someone at least once.
So, I want to say, Thank you Case. Thank you for choosing me to be your friend, and for keeping me around. I'm not easy to love, or to put up with at times. But I'm working on it.
I Love You!

I awoke this evening with those thoughts after having slept for about 9 hours today, and was met with the sounds of fireworks. Every year, on the Saturday before the 4th of July, our neighbors put on a fireworks display that sometimes surpasses the municipal fireworks display that thousands of people see every year. My family and I sit in chairs in our backyard and ooh and ahh over the howling, whistling, booming lights show above our heads.
What a way to end the day, huh?

So, when I say that I have much to be thankful for, I hope you believe me. I have wonderful friends who love and trust me. I have opportunities to help and serve others. I have the perfect end to the perfect day--fireworks. And I have my God to direct me from one to the other, always by my side, always loving me, always holding me.

My life is good.

Be Well!
-Rae

2 comments:

Casey Elizabeth Ruble said...

Why are you thanking me Rachel?!? I'm the one that needs to be thanking you! I am blessed beyond measure to have you in my life and I thank God that I had the good sense to sit next to you in BSF. :) You have put up with my everythings and nothings and there are no words I can say that would adequately express what that means to me. I love you my sister!

Rae Hitchings said...

Thank God for BSF :)
That's all I can say right now.
Oh.
And I love you too!
Sister *smile*
So cool...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Grey Floral ©  Copyright by Musings of an Avid Thinker | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks