Friday, July 30, 2010

Musings About Names or The Absurdity of it All

Hello my Muslings!

I was looking through a number of facebook notes and saw that friends and friends of friends had written posts a few months ago about what Urban Dictionary said about their name. Now, if you're like me, you generally only go there if you want/need to know the definition of a word your parents won't explain to you, or to understand what that particular insult really meant. =/
I'm sorry, but if I need other definitions, I go to dictionary.com or an online encyclopaedia. Not Urban Dictionary. Still. I went on and read through the second page of submitted definitions of those named "Rachel". Some I will not even mention. Some are untrue in my case. But others were slightly interesting, as parts matched up with what I thought about myself and/or what other people have told me.So, for our equal entertainment, I pasted some of the definitions below.



The most voted for definition was "Rachel: The most edible female name" with over 4,300 thumbs up. That's exactly what I've been going for. Edible. Can you see me posing with a parfait? I don't think so.
Goodness.

The runner up was the following: "Rachel: A smart, sassy and sexy young woman who knows things from fashion to film to literature, from Manolo Blahniks to Mahatma Gandhi. 
Ex: She impressed everybody in the meeting. She's such a Rachel. *=D*
Tags: sassy,, funny, clever, sophisticated smart"
I don't know about you, but that's awesome! If you know me at all, you also know that I like to know a little bit about anything and everything...and I mean everything. Next time you see me, or heck, you can even comment or email me, ask me a question...any question. I may not know anything about the topic. True. But if I don't, be sure that I will research the heck out of that baby until I do.
Oh. And Manolo Blahniks. Yes. I do know what they are, and who he is :) (There are both. Trust me)

Next.

#3 on the list was "Rachel: Hebrew name meaning 'an ewe', or 'little lamb'. Symbolizes purity." I knew the first part, but not the second. And for your information, I do try to be pure. =D And I'm happy about it!

The next two I like. I'll leave it up to you to decide what to think about them, unless I feel an unquenchable desire to type something after I reread them.
"Rachel: A pure hearted, kind, and compassionate woman; a good listener and a leader with the love of many
Ex: I need a Rachel to cry on."
......Ok. I can't even shut up for a single quote. Gosh. Anyway. My reaction to this was "Awwwwe!". That's what I want to be. God has given me the qualities to be able to be this, but I'm not there yet.*sigh* I'm workin' on it! I'm workin' on it!


This one makes me chuckle and cringe and smile all at the same time. *laugh* And just so you know, I gave up the "not commenting" thing shortly after I typed it. Hence, the length of the next part!
"Rachel: 1. She's the girl that everyone is jealous of...sexy, fun, smart, outgoing, and easy to talk to. She has a heart of gold and although she might seem bulletproof, she's caring and sensitive on the inside.
First of all, I hope you're not jealous of me. Stop it!. And, besides the sexy part (=P), I like to think that I can be (at times) fun, smart, outgoing, and easy to talk to. Recently, my friend Jenn said that she knew I was a softy underneath, even if I was nearly rock solid on the outside. I guess that would count as bulletproof! And it's true. I may act tough sometimes...but I internalize nearly everything. So, instead of [just] a rock, you can call me an iceberg too...with a warm, melty center *big grin*

2. A girl who isn't afraid to speak her mind or be herself. Watch out boys, she's a heart-breaker. A girl who won't settle for anything but the best, but rightfully so. She doesn't need a man to have a good time. You bet I'm not afraid of speaking my mind. And if I changed according to everyone's whim's, and since I do everything to the extreme, I'd have been an anorexic one month and a sport fanatic the next. A piano junkie, then a computer game freak. All with equal gusto. And i don't think I've broken anyone's heart, although I do tend to have high standards. And I don't tie my self worth to my relationship status. I'm doing quite well on my own, though I'm open to the possibilities!

3. She's the friend you call at 2am when you need someone to tell you that everything's going to be ok. Sweet, comforting, and a great listener.
This is definitely what I want to be. If you can't get me one way, try another. I keep my phone by my bed. If I don't answer the first time, call again. If, by the 4th or 5th time you don't reach me, then assume I left my phone, forgot to charge it, or am listening to music WAY too loud...again. Try facebook or email next. :) 
I love you, people! And I love knowing your hearts, and your problems, and your fallibility. And who knows...I may even be awake still at 2 *chuckle*. 
 
Examples:
1. Did you see that chick's hot bod? I'm so jealous. She's such a Rachel.
 Heh...Heh...Not right now. But once I get my bodies malfunctions under control, I'll deal with that. So, maybe, when I look back on this post when I'm about to graduate college, I'll be able to think "Maybe". =)

2. Damn, I wish I was still with Rachel. She looks like she's having such a good time without me.

Ok. If this is you, stop swearing. Secondly, I can have fun with almost anybody, or fun without. I'm diverse and able to make the best of any situation. Just remember. I'll probably be even happier and having a better time with you by my side!

3. She was so sweet to me when I needed a friend...such a Rachel. 
*claps* I hope so!"

And last but not least, is this definition. It makes me laugh. And think of all my guy friends who rave about hamburgers. I'll have to tell you about my Pizza dream sometime too.
"Rachel: Buy rachel mugs, tshirts and magnet (So cool!!!!) Rachel's are so fabulous you have no idea what has just hit you. When you walk down a street you can instantly spot a Rachel just from her sparkling eyes. Rachel's are sexy, funny, beautiful and awesome to be around. You are seriously lucky if you know a Rachel. Rachel's are the most fun you can have without eating cheeseburgers.
Ex: I love that Rachel, she's so great, and I always have fun, even when we aren't eating cheeseburgers."
*still laughing* Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness. I'm almost as fun as eating cheeseburgers. Now that's something to put on a resume, assuming your boss is a middle-class American man. :)
So! What do you think about my rant about myself, without any real redeeming qualities other than me finding the internet a fascinating place again. And my poor computer. It suffers through blog posts, "happiness posts" on facebook, Urban Dictionary searches, and now this...whatever this is.
Still. This one was fun to write. I think I'll make a weekly post about a funny Urban Dictionary definition. What do you think?
Anyone sitting in my peanut gallery today?


Be Well!
-Rae

2 comments:

Casey Elizabeth Ruble said...

Wow! I think I can say that many of these definitely define you. But, it kinda takes all of them. :)

Number two made me laugh because that is so you! Remember watching Tim Hawkins at your house while you were on a Barbra Streisand streak? lol Good times! I will always remember that horrified look on your face. ;)I think I've been more careful about what movies I recommend since then. haha

You are an amazing, beautiful, wonderful lady and I am blessed to know you! I love you my dear!

Rae Hitchings said...

Yes. I do remember the Tim Hawkins video. haha I laugh more about it now, than I did when I first saw it. You laughed soooo hard. I wanted to whack you. In fact, I think I did :)

And thank you for the compliment! I just couldn't resist making a post about this. It tickled my funny bone =D

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Grey Floral ©  Copyright by Musings of an Avid Thinker | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks