Sunday, October 17, 2010

Moving #3: Settling

 So, Here I am.
At the Crockers
Sitting in bed.
Typing on my computer named George.
Yes.
George.
The Crocker's fish is also named George.
George is a good name.
And no, I'm not drugged.
The pain killers haven't quite kicked in yet XD.
Anyway.
My family travels like gypsies. Or Basket Cases. You may call us what you will, as long as it includes crazy and/or nomadic "Carry anything you need to survive for years". You see, we carry everything with us when we go, because you never know what you might need. We over-pack and often cause ourselves undue stress and grief because of it, yet are always the life savers when other people need things. When we go camping, my family packs our car full to the brim with the kid's stuff on their laps, and our trailer full to bursting. Tents, suitcases upon suitcases, mini grills, griddles, stoves and the like, plus an extensive medical kit and accoutrement make up part of it. But then you have the cool stuff, like guns for the shooting range, compasses, night vision goggles, fold out tables (Yes. It's "cool". It's so you don't have to use benches...try sitting at one with an unknown wasp nest nestled underneath. THAT'LL send you to the foldable tables, let me tell ya!), fishing supplies, instruments ranging from 6 and 12 string acoustics to small drums to triangles to many other rhythm stuffs, and on and on. We have fun, especially, when we have 6 to 10 large families camping right next to each other, singing songs around the campfire, my dad (and sometimes another musician) playing guitar and all the young kids playing the other instruments from our box. Getting lost while hiking. Almost getting stuck in caves. And every person eventually coming to our campsite to get some kind of medical supply to help. It's only when we have to leave that we again question the decision to take so much freakin stuff!!!!! AHH!!!

All that to illustrate our propensity to pack a Loooot.... "Just in case". Camping trips are usually less than a week. More like a weekend. So. Think bout that. A full car and a full trailer for a weekend. Now. Think about us emptying our house (also filled with the same "just in case" tendencies) for the workmen coming in Monday morning, along with school supplies, food, and clothing for TWO WEEKS. So, multiply the camping experience by 10 fold, and you have the general atmosphere of gathering and stuffing and hauling that's gone on the past two days. My Honda Civic was stuffed with my suitcases, bags and such. Then we had two minivans for the 5 of them, plus the stuffed trailer. And we had already made a trip up to the "house" with another full minivan (with only two people in it this time....Yes. THAT full).
Wow.
We might as well live in that house for a year...oh wait. We didn't pack enough for all the things that could happen in a year! Oh my goodness!!!! *grin* It's a family thing. And people make fun of us for. Like when I go to Myrtle Beach or Awana Camp: "Wow! You packed ALL that? You're nuts!" But who do they come to when they need something? I pack books for answering their questions, writing tools for them to write home, extra toothpastes and cover up and medicines when they run out or forget. I have extra journals and notebooks for them to take notes if they forget. I pack more shirts and pants than absolutely necessary, and I even have to loan them out occasionally because someone was in an emergency. So will I change my habits? I don't think so.
Even looking around at the room that I have truly "made my own", and thinking about how in the world I will find a way to pack everything again and remember everything, I don't regret my decision for "extravagance". I will handle it in stride. And enjoy every pleasurable thing that I brought just for the heck of it. The top of what was a clear dresser now has a floral patterned scarf opened up to act as a lovely covering for it. My cactus, Mr. Smooth, is sitting next to a lamp. My nice green and brown pattered box (photo boxes from the craft stores converted into basic storage for anything! They're awesome room accents!) with all my medicines hides them nicely and adds to the decor. Next to that is a carved wood floral box that Casey just bought me at the Renaissance Faire, with a picture sitting on top of it of the two of us and poem she wrote about me sitting.
On the desk are a number of books, most so that I can take quotes and ideas for Musing's posts or letters, plus my large leather and wood box of writing supplies, books for tutoring, a handmade Turkish Mortar and Pestle for an accent and to hold my two green and maroon feather pens, a picture of me and my littlest brother Michael, a small box with my metal nib pens, and a couple note card boxes. Sound like I "made myself at home"?
You betcha!

So, right now I'm listening to BBC 1's Live Lounge volumes 1-3 that I got today because of Eleanor Roscuro's suggestion on Moving #2: Stuffing. I have a pore cleansing pad stuck to my nose, a bottle of water next to my bed, and the music of Florence and the Machine, Paramore, Leeland and Downhere playing in my head. I'm also thinking about watching an episode of SG-1 and eating some ice cream, since sleep is not coming to me yet. But best of all is one phrase, and you what that is? Life is good.
I'm happy.
I'm free.
I'm moved.
And I'm home.

Booyah.

Be Well!
-Rae

5 comments:

iMAC said...

Im so glad to hear that you feel comfortable here! Seriously Matthews not coming home til november and mom moved his room around anyway... so nothing will be in the same spot... so fell free to move things and all!
This weeks a test on our friendship... so lets make it amazing shall we? ;) love you dear!

Rae Hitchings said...

Then amazing it will be! =) I'm lucky to have you as a housemate. ^_^
I love you more! *grin*

-Rae

Oddyoddyo13 said...

I wonder how much you guys would take should you fancy going to China...

Rae Hitchings said...

Heh...Well, we usually do ok when we take trips to the Yucatan Peninsula (Mexico), the Caribbean, across the US, or to Canada. And my mum and dad usually are able to keep things under a semblance of control when they head to Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy. So, I don't know. It's more the trips where we have to survive NOT in hotels. We seem to need more stuff if we're camping or filling another house, or somewhere nearby. It's kind of funny XD

-Rae

Aoife. said...

I'm terrible at packing. I usuall end up fargetting at least one thing at home..it's usually my toothbrush or shampoo :/
And george is an awesome name. <3

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Grey Floral ©  Copyright by Musings of an Avid Thinker | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks