Saturday, October 2, 2010

Saturday Sounds: Indie

Alright. So! For today's "Saturday's Sounds", I have a playlist uploaded below of a few of my favorite or current "likes" in the Indie Genre. Some of you may disagree with the classification of the music, but oh well. It's a debatable subject!
Indie stands for "Independent", or non-mainstream. But that doesn't mean they're bad. Often, while there are quite a few "kooks" in the genre, you will find many imaginative, original, and awesome songs and bands, instead of the Same-ol' same-ol' that you get on the radio these days. I recently saw a picture that made fun of the monotony of the radio: "100fm, the same 100 songs over and over and over and over" XD hahaha

ANYway.... *chuckle*


If there are any specific bands or songs you think should have been listed, then please, feel free to add! This is not a comprehensive overview, but I love adding new music!
Below are the bands/artists that have some songs in the mix
*Note: I am not promoting the whole band or every one of their songs or albums. Just the ones in the mix.

Bands and Artists in Rae's Indie Mix:
  • Hot Hot Heat
  • Ra Ra Riot
  • Dog is Dead
  • Freelance Whales
  • Jeremy Enigk
  • Duffy
  • Annuals
  • Dean & Britta
  • Guillemots
  • Imogen Heap
  • Polarkreis 18
  • Simone White
  • Two Door Cinema Club

So give it a listen, and then feedback! What were your favorite songs? Tell you what. I'll put up a poll about favorite artists in the right hand side.
Oh. And as this is my first "Saturday Sounds", is there something more that you would like included? Such as a history of the genre, personal opinions, or just straight out music that we can discuss?
Let me know, and Enjoy!
Listen your ears off =P

  • Rae's Indie Mix 01


NOTE: I couldn't get them in the order I desired....the widget was acting all weird on me. But I hope you can still enjoy the music!!!


Be Well!
-Rae

6 comments:

Oddyoddyo13 said...

LoL! I'm listening to "Mercy" by Duffy, and have the urge to stand up and start dancing and snapping my fingers.

Which is my long version of saying that I love the rhythm! Never heard of this genre before, sounds awesome! :)

Rae Hitchings said...

Indipendent Music is characterized by not being a part of a major label (usually), more about the music and trying something different, as with the instruments, vocals, rhytms, etc..., and generally not played in any mainstream venues. Duffy is a little known (in america) Brit pop/Rock/Indie artist that did well in the 1970s and 80's, but faded from there. I want her back!!! =P

Also, some of the songs start slow, or quiet, or a bit...weird and "uneventful". Just wait them out. Indie songs usually have a little "catch" somewhere near the middle or end as well.

^_^

carlinuxlearner said...

Imogen Heap is Indie? Well I suppose she is sort of... but it just seems like she doesn't fall into that genre.

Now that you've done a week of your average Joe any'ol bands, why don't we have some real music, soundtracks :)

What were your favorite songs?
"Broken Horse" was the only one I thought was ok...

"Oh. And as this is my first "Saturday Songs", is there something more that you would like included? Such as a history of the genre, personal opinions, or just straight out music that we can discuss?"
Soundtracks, soundtracks, and soundtracks =D

Rae Hitchings said...

It depends on your definiton of "average Joe". If you mean the lay person's music that isn't defined by rigin mainstream standards, then yes. Average Joe it is. If you mean what the majority of american's/pop culture listen to", then no. That would be saying that Kei$ha and Lil' Wayne and Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber deserve a spot on this list *sour face*
No-sir-ee!
Definitely not!
Ahem.
Anyway.

I promise to do some soundtracks. Email me some of your favorites, and some names of specific songs for me to check out. Especially if you'd like that specific music to be more widely heard. I have people reading from russian and Denmark and China. Spread the goodness that is Soundtracks around the globe! *big grin* You get the idea.

Did you listen to all the songs on the list all the way through? Because as I said earlier, Indie often has an "amping up" of their music, or a musical "tidbit" near the middle or end of their songs, especially if they start out slowly or more unusual. *shrug* Just saying.

What about soundtracks would you like me to discuss?

-Rae

carlinuxlearner said...

In my little world, Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga, and all those other people you named, fall into the exact same category as all other "band" music. There's no difference imo (and don't get me wrong, I know many people disagree, but there are so very few songs I like out of the entire rock/pop/band/screamo/heavymetal/younameit that I generally see them all as "Hate it" and put them all in the same category because I couldn't careless about them.)

"Email me some of your favorites"
Will do!

"Did you listen to all the songs on the list all the way through?"
noooo, I saved my ears the pain =P It takes me about 2 seconds to decide if I like a song or not. But I did at least listen to all of them as far as the first few words. (the only one I listen to all the way through was "Broken Horse")

"What about soundtracks would you like me to discuss?"
It'd be cool to learn about all the different "moods" they have, and how they are achieved in the music. (meaning like: Why are all sad songs sad? Musically, what makes them that way? What about suspenseful parts, what causes that feeling? What is it that's the same in all suspenseful music? etc)

Rae Hitchings said...

With Indie music, it takes far longer than 2 seconds to get the gist of the song...just saying. That's part of being "Indie".
And I know I probably will not win an argument with you over the differences and values of various music styles. But, please know that like soundtracks and classical music, there are many sub genres, periods, and nuances. That's like saying you hate Classical without listening to the differences of Bach vs. Scarlatti, you know? Anyway.

I'm glad you liked at least one song. Think though...if you listened to a few more songs all the way through like Broken Horse, you may find some others that you actually enjoy as well.

The depth and knowledge needed to talk about soundtracks/music like that would take some research. I'm not sure I'm quite up to that level of detail at the moment (medications and all...they make the stupid stuff easier to write, but the intake of information harder :P)
But I shall try for some kind of coherent description of nuance, style, and instrumental tones that lend themselves to mood and staging and pacing and angles, etc... =)

-Rae

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Grey Floral ©  Copyright by Musings of an Avid Thinker | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks