Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday Sounds: The Village Soundtrack

It's Saturday!
That means today is "Saturday Sounds", and I've got a treat for you: The complete Village Soundtrack.
Now, this movie is one of M. Night Shyamalan's best films, in my opinion. Although He is more well known for his movies The Sixth Sense and Signs, The Village combines all the elements that define a high quality Shyalmalan movie: suspense, an "unforseen" twist, moral questions, and moving characters.
Let me point at that the characters are created more from camera angles,visual storytelling and music than their amount of spoken lines. Some of the most compelling characters on screen, such as Sigourney Weaver's "Alice Hunt", have very few lines and scenes.

But a majority of the artfulness in telling this story is through the music. James Newton Howard (composer for such movies as Batman Begins and The Dark Night, King Kong, Pretty Woman, The Fugitive, Blood Diamond, and Shyamalan's other films, including The Last Airbender, Lady in the Water, and Unbreakable) uses minimalistic techniques for The Village's score, and it does surprisingly well. The lead instrument is the violin, and it carries the majority of the melody. The orchestra more often backs it up than overshadows it. Strings are predominant, although drums and wind instruments are utilized heavily and masterfully in the tense, suspenseful scenes. There are subtle changes and variations of the main theme, with far fewer shifts from the main melody in the musical composition as a whole than many other soundtracks you will listen to. Again, the minimalist theme.
And it all works.
Below is the complete soundtrack. Let me know what you think about it! If you couldn't already tell, I love this album. And the movie, but the music especially!
I. Absolutely. Love. It.
Period. It is so artistically and skillfully done that it makes me sit in quiet awe every time I listen.
So, get yourself ready for the  moving, deceivingly simplistic, and noteworthy sounds of The Village's Score.




Be Well!
-Rae

NOTE: This movie, although pegged as a "horror" film by people who have only seen the trailer, are being decieved. It is NOT a horror film. It is a suspenseful character drama, and one I would recommend to Anyone, whether they like "scary" films or not. It's awesome, and will leave you thinking at the end.
Such a wonderful movie!

5 comments:

danfanmac said...

I'd definitely suggest looking up the extended score, as well....it really dives deeper into the score and themes of the movie....

I think you might be only able to find it on youtube....

Rae Hitchings said...

Yes, I've listened to some on YouTube, but it's not available as far as I've seen. So I'm going with what I have! :P

Oddyoddyo13 said...

According to my calculations-judging, of course, by the dominant figure (a.k.a. creepy, red-tinged dude wearing a hoodie) and the ominous focus-then I'd say that....

Okay, I don't know. I was just trying to sound professional, cuz I feel kind of lame when you describe the music and the layers and the suspense-I don't notice any of that! I'd just be nervous or thinking the classic: "DON'T GO INTO THE CLOSET! HASN'T ANYBODY GIVEN YOU THAT MEMO???"

Rae Hitchings said...

Dani: *chuckle* I notice lots of things, and never stop thinking. But that's just me :P

And in the movie, there IS one part where you are thinking "GET INTO THE CLOSET/UNDER THE FLOORBOARDS!", in stead of stay away from it haha
But this is one of my favorite movies.
It's pretty awesome. How do you like the music?

Rae Hitchings said...

Oh, and I changed the picture ^_^

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Grey Floral ©  Copyright by Musings of an Avid Thinker | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks